Saturday, February 26, 2011

And so it begins........

My OE begins! The great tradition of Kiwi 20-somethings off to explore the world. A bit of drama to get here but then every good travel story has drama!
I had to delay my flight by 24 hours because I had not yet received my passport back from UK immigration. Poor organisation on my behalf I must confess. I was also a bit slow to organise a visa card and so that also didn't arrive in time. Partly due to Christchurch earthquake but mostly my fault!. Hopefully not having a visa doesn't pose too much of a problem. Might help to keep me on budget!
Despite all this I find myself at Auckland International Airport at 1600 hours on Friday 25th February 2011. My flight is due to leave at 1815. After checking in we have time for one last New Zealand beer at the pub (who am I kidding it was heineken). Mum, Dad and Paula are here to see me off. This is definitely the hardest part! It has been a hard day. Hard to leave my home. Hard to leave my family. Hard to leave my friends. My pets. Bland Bay. The ocean. Pohutukawa trees. Yeah OK Im getting carried away. Kiwi Proud!
But here it is... time to say goodbye. I deal with it in my usual brutal way. Starting with a pep talk as we walk towards the departure gates "Listen here guys. There is to be NO tears. Understood? Good!" And at the gates it is a very brief "See ya soon! Love you!" and a kiss for each and off I go. Walking determinedly towards my new adventure. I did look back and wave at the last moment though!
Doesn't take long before I am ready to board my plane. Boeing 777-300 Emirates Flight EK435. In 20 hours time I will be stepping off the plane in Dubai!  Bon Voyage!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment